Computerworld: In what could be a sign that regulators are taking a hard look at Google’s proposed acquisition of Motorola Mobility, the European Commission has asked for more information about the proposed merger. The commission had been scheduled to issue the first decision in its approval process by January 10, but the group says it will no longer be able to meet that timetable. The U.S. Justice Department had also previously requested more data about the $12.5 billion deal.
For its part, Google says the request is merely routine. A spokesperson reported that Google is “confident the commission will conclude that this acquisition is good for competition, and we’ll be working closely and cooperatively with them as they continue their review.”