Artificial intelligence image generators are tools that use machine learning (ML), neural networks, and user input to create images. A typical example is that a user gives a prompt by typing text into the tool–called text-to-image—but some AI image generators use other techniques, like image-to-image, which can modify an original supplied by the user or create a new image using it as a prompt.
Here are our picks for the top five AI image generators based on features and price.
Table Of Contents
- Top AI Image Generators
- AI Image Generators Comparison Table
- Key Features Of AI Image Generators
- How To Choose What AI Image Generators Best For You
- Bottom Line: AI Image Generators
Top AI Image Generators
The top five providers all offer feature-rich AI image generators at varying prices. Your company’s specific needs will determine which is right for you. When selecting a provider, consider use cases and costs for each provider as outlined below.
AI Image Generators Comparison Table
|AI Art Generator
|Deep Dream Generator
DALL-E 2: Best Overall AI Image Generator
DALL-E 2 is OpenAI’s AI image generator, released in 2022—a year after the initial version of DALL-E. Users can prompt DALL-E 2, and it will create an original and realistic image based on that prompt. DALL-E 2 will not create “violent, hate, or adult images,” and OpenAI removes explicit data from its system.
- Strong Composition: DALL-E 2 generates images with strong composition due to the vast amount of text and image training, making the images more accurate and natural to the prompt.
- Deciphers Images: DALL-E 2 can decipher generated images and compare them to the prompt, providing feedback to refine output.
- Image Normalization: Using image normalization, DALLE-2 standardizes and transforms prompts to ensure they have consistent characteristics and contain the properties for a better generated image.
- Free and paid options
- Simple image creation
- Users own image copyright
- Possible copyright and trademark issues
- English language only
- Unable to do hyperrealistic images at this time
Pricing for DALL-E 2 works on a credits-purchased model, based on image resolution. For 1024×1024 pixel images, the cost is $0.020 per image; 512×512 pixels is $0.018; and 256×256 pixels is $0.016. Credits are a single charge of $15 per 115 credits, with 50 free credits at signup and 15 additional free credits per month.
DeepAI: Best For Ease Of Use
DeepAI is a well-known image generator that is mostly free for public use, and lets users create an unlimited number of unique images. The model is based on stable diffusion, which creates images from scratch from a text description, and DeepAI includes a free text-to-image API that can connect to another software project.
- Art Style Options: DeepAI’s tool lets users pick an image style based on the options they create.
- Text-to-image API: DeepAI’s text-to-image API allows users to give creative inputs through text prompts, which the tool uses to produce the image.
- Saves Image Drafts: Unlike many image generators, DeepAI allows users to save a draft of an image to finish later.
- Easy to use
- Access to the full database
- No account required
- Free edition contains ads
- Only one image generated at a time
DeepAI has limited free accounts, but if you plan to use the image generator often, DeepAI has two pricing options. The DeepAI Pro plan starts at $4.99 per month, while its pay-as-you-go plan starts at $5 per 100 API calls.
Deep Dream Generator: Best For Style Prompts
Deep Dream Generator creates unique images with a “dream-like” appearance. Users have three image-processing options: Text 2 Dream, Deep Style, and Deep Dream. Text 2 Dream uses text prompts; Deep Style modifies users’ photo prompts based on their choice of style prompts (Starry Night, colorful abstract, and Pieter Bruegel); Deep Dream modifies prompt images by turning them into dream-like photos with varied color schemes and overlaid images of animals.
- Community Platform: Deep Dream Generator acts as a community, letting users share and comment on generated images.
- Three Modes: Unlike many other generators, Deep Dream Generator offers three generator modes: Text 2 Dream, Deep Style, and Deep Dream.
- Strong Neural Networks: The strong algorithms and neural networks generate realistic, dream-like art.
- Diverse options
- Change aspect ratio
- User-friendly interface
- Limited credits
- Expensive high-resolution downloads
- Slow processes
Deep Dream Generator offers a free version that functions more like a free trial. The three payment plans are based on credits. The advanced plan is $19 per month, the professional plan is $39 per month, and the ultra plan is $99 per month.
Artbreeder: Best For Customization
- Image Modification: Users have four function options when generating portraits: random, remixed, uploaded, and animated. Original images can be modified widely using the various controls.
- Specific Criteria: By specifying criteria for the generator and discriminator models, users can prompt the system to produce wanted outcomes.
- Trained With Many Images: Artbreeder has been trained with thousands of images to create multi-scale transformations.
- Extensive image library
- Downloads as both JPG and PNG
- Difficult interface
- Limited free features
- Lower-quality images
Artbreeder has four pricing plans. The free plan allows 10 credits per month. The starter plan allows 100 credits for $8.99 a month, while the advanced plan allows 275 credits for $18.99. The champion plan allows 700 credits and costs $38.99.
Midjourney: Best For High-Quality Images
Midjourney is an image generator known for rapidly generated, high-quality images, but it is exclusively a text-to-image platform. Midjourney is hosted on Discord. Users must join a Discord server and use its bot commands to work with the tool.
- High-Quality Images: Midjourney is considered the highest-quality image generator, and can create unique oil-paint style images, which many generators cannot do.
- Shared Images: Users can share images and get other ideas from the community.
- Beta Tool: Midjourney uses ATM, a beta tool used by Discord bots, to assist first-time users.
- High-quality images
- Four images created with one input
- Community built on Discord
- Limited realistic images
- Complicated setup
- Pay for unlimited inputs
Midjourney has a free plan and three paid plans. The basic plan allows 200 images per month and costs $8; the standard plan allows unlimited image generations, but only has 15 hours a month of fast GPU time and costs $24 per month; the pro plan has unlimited generations and allows 30 hours a month of fast GPU time, and costs $48 per month. All plans are billed yearly rather than monthly.
Bottom Line: AI Image Generators
The technology is still new and changing rapidly, and is becoming more widely adopted in enterprise uses after its initial period of consumer use. Not all AI image generators are capable of creating the same type or quality of imagery, so your use case should be a determining factor when considering which one to use. You’ll also want to consider copyright, production time, and cost—while none of the tools are expensive, if your company plans to generate images in higher volumes, you should take that into account.
Read next: 100 Top Artificial Intelligence Companies