Pew Internet & American Life Project: The latest report out from the Pew Internet & American Life Project confirms that Americans are more addicted than ever to their cell phones. In fact, 83 percent of U.S. adults own a cell phone and 35 percent own a smartphone. A majority (51 percent) said they had used their phone in the past month to obtain information they needed right away, and 27 percent said they had difficulty doing something in the past month because they were away from their phones.
Other findings include the following:
- 40 percent have used their phones in an emergency situation.
- 42 percent have used their phones for entertainment when bored.
- 73 percent use their phones for text messaging and taking photos.
- 54 percent use their phones for sending photos and videos to others.
- 44 percent use their phone to access the Internet.