Seagate is a leader in the data storage sector with an established reputation that offers a range of solutions.
Fremont, California-based Seagate, founded in 1979, has a workforce of over 40,000 people and a presence in the Silicon Valley, China, the U.K., India, and Singapore. See below to learn all about where Seagate stands in the data storage market:
Data storage portfolio
Seagate offers three types of storage solutions:
- Mass storage platform used to capture unstructured data
- Predictable as-a-service consumption model with no vendor lock-in
- Complements existing cloud infrastructure while overcoming the barriers of data gravity
- Breaks down multicloud, multi-site data silos
- Policy-driven orchestration delivers frictionless, rapid movement, and ingestion of data from endpoint to edge to cloud
Lyve Multicloud Object Storage
- Object storage for mass data
- Capacity-based pricing with no hidden fees for egress or API calls, reducing total cost of ownership (TCO)
- Transfers data seamlessly across public and private cloud environments
- High availability and durability with globally recognized security standards
- ISO 270001:2013 and SOC2 certified
- Ransomware protection, enterprise-grade identity management support, automatic data replication, and data encryption at rest and in flight
With over 40 years of hardware storage solution development and manufacturing, Seagate has a number of innovative hardware solutions available:
- Lyve Rack: Converged object storage infrastructure solution for artificial intelligence (AI) and big data
- Lyve Mobile Shuttle: Edge storage solution designed to store and move data to and from emerging edge environments, with and without the use of a computer, including support for most industry-standard file systems
- Lyve Mobile Array: Powering high-capacity and high-performance data transfers while employing industry-standard AES 256-bit hardware encryption and key management, in a rugged, lockable transport case
- Data storage systems and enterprise drives: From petabyte to exabyte, storage solutions with firmware and multi-core capabilities
- Intelligent object storage software optimized for mass capacity and data-intensive workloads
- 100% open-source and community-driven design, delivering faster access to innovations that can be customized by any enterprise
- Provides structured access to unstructured information, with search and analysis built-in
See more: The Top Data Storage Companies
Working with an organization as mature as Seagate as a partner means gaining access to various resources and benefits, including:
- Training and education with specialized tracks to meet specific business needs
- Demand generation
- Marketing and sales support
- Monthly newsletter with industry news and events
- Access to a self-service portal
For potential partners looking to build innovative solutions, Seagate offers the Partner Program Builder Track that gives access to additional resources, like marketing development funds, tier discounts, and other personalized benefits.
Independent software and hardware vendors with complementary solutions to Seagate enterprise system products are invited to join their Tech Alliance. Partners in this program have the opportunity to promote solutions together with Seagate.
Becoming a Seagate partner means joining a list of trusted partners, including: Commvault; Equinix; Veritas; IBM; RedHat; Bosch; Intel; and VMWare.
See more: Top 10 Data Storage Certifications
Data storage use case
Concerned by their ability to compete against the most significant players in the cloud storage industry, Sync.com needed a data storage partner that could scale quickly to meet their rising demands.
With a mission to provide enterprise customers with secure access to enormous data loads, Sync.com also needed automatic fail-over systems and secure HIPAA-compliant capabilities that meet the requirements of legal, health care, and accounting firms.
Sync.com used Seagate’s high-density EXOS E storage system.
- Scaling to deliver services to more than one million users
- Increased capacity to meet 3 PB-per-month demands
- 99% uptime for customers
- 10 TB of storage for users
“The Seagate solution is a key component under the hood. Without Seagate, we wouldn’t be able to scale in a way that gives us peace of mind — and Sync.com is in the peace of mind business. For Sync.com, success was threefold: the ability to introduce new products, improve scalability, and enhance customer trust,” says Thomas Savundra, co-founder and president, Sync.com.
User reviews of Seagate data storage
Seagate storage solutions are well-reviewed, achieving a rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars from users at Gartner Peer Insights.
“At Dropbox, we need to deploy the most cost-efficient storage without sacrificing reliability, security, and performance. That’s why we’ve continually partnered with Seagate. Their collaboration is critical in helping Dropbox define our future storage architecture,” says Seagate user Ali Zafar, senior director of platform strategy and operations, Dropbox, in a case study.
Industry recognition of Seagate data storage
- Won the Leadership Award from the National Association of Manufacturers in 2022
Seagate in the HDD market
When it comes to global hard disk drive (HDD) market share, a segment of the data storage market, Seagate was estimated to hold the top position in 2021, with 43% of the market, ahead of Western Digital at 36%, according to Statista.
Seagate offers a broad portfolio of quality data storage solutions with global reach, an established history of quality customer support, and recently committed to powering their global footprint with 100% renewable energy by 2030.
See more: 5 Top Data Center Storage Trends