Robotics is a field of computer science and engineering that focuses on the construction, design, and operation of robots. Introducing robotics to a workplace can benefit human employees by increasing accuracy, making workflows more efficient, and freeing up time spent on menial tasks. This high-level guide looks at the top robotics companies and the services they offer to help you better understand what’s available and what it might cost.
Table Of Contents
- Top Robotics Companies
- Benefits of Robotics
- How To Choose a Robotics Company
- Bottom Line: Top Robotics Companies
Top Robotics Companies
All the robotics companies covered here offer feature-rich services in differing areas of focus, from mobile robots that integrate with your infrastructure to sensors that can monitor for and respond to different conditions. While your business’s specific needs and budget will be a key factor in finding the right company, pricing is another factor—and comparing pricing can be a challenge.
Because robotics is not an off-the-shelf solution, customization means pricing can vary widely. We’ve gathered publicly available pricing information where possible, but for accurate quotes you’ll need to contact the vendors.
UiPath is a leading provider of robotic process automation (RPA) technology, sometimes referred to as “software robotics,” and provides both automation and operations to customers. UiPath’s RPA platform uses automation and artificial intelligence (AI) to streamline business practices. It offers visual design tools and integration capabilities, and allows bots to interact with different systems, applications, and databases. UiPath provides solutions for many industries, giving businesses direct control with a drag-and-drop user interface.
- AI and Machine Learning (ML): UiPath integrates AI and ML capabilities with software bots to handle unstructured data, make better decisions, and adapt to unexpected changes, improving automation potential for users.
- Robust Integration: UiPath bots can interact with a broad range of systems, applications, and databases, including web and desktop applications, enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems, customer relationship management (CRM) systems, and more.
- Screen Scraping: UiPath’s screen-scraping enables bots to extract data from business applications including legacy systems and virtual environments to fuel the RPA technology.
As one of the leading robotics and machine automation suppliers, ABB Robotics offers a large range of robots, software, and services. ABB Robotics and Discrete Automation has a wide portfolio of tools in a wide range of sizes, payloads, and reach capabilities, and provides robotics, machine automation, digital services, and other innovative solutions for many industries.
- Vision And Sensor Integration: ABB Robotics emphasizes the seamless integration of vision systems and sensors into robotics tools to facilitate data exchange and coordinated workflow within the automation setup.
- Flexibility: ABB’s robots are designed to be flexible and capable of performing various tasks including assembly, welding, material handling, painting, inspection, and more.
- Affordability: While prices can range based on solutions, ABB Ltd offers robotics options for businesses with a lower budget.
ABB Ltd has a pricing page; price ranges from $33,000 to $90,500 depending upon maximum reach, maximum payload, arms, and types.
Universal Robots, part of Teradyne Inc., aims to “create a world where people work with robots, not like robots.” To meet this goal, it uses collaborative robots, or cobots, that can automate repetitive tasks and shift them away from human workers. The cobots are meant to share work with human employees, making its automation possible to be used for a variety of applications.
- Build-Your Own-Application: Users can choose from 400 components, kits and solutions, software tools, and safety accessories for robot integration, giving a wide range of options.
- Robot Collaboration: The company can connect operators to robots for successful automation by building a program, selecting functions, and executing them line by line, or via physical interaction by manually moving the robots’ arms.
- No Coding, Easy Setup: Universal Robots are designed to be used without robotics or coding experience. The company offers classes and has experts on call.
Universal Robots does not have a pricing page. Based on user reviews, customers should budget between $50,000 and $100,000 depending on cobots and accessories.
KUKA provides industrial robots for factory automation, with customers ranging from BMW and Ford to Siemens, Airbus, and Volkwsagen. The company also offers cobots with various payload capacities and reaches, and builds them to size and specifications for a wide range of deployments in automotive, electronics, food and beverage, foundry and foreign, medical, plastics, and other industrial applications. KUKA also sells used robots to help make entry into robotics more affordable for smaller companies.
- Motion Control: KUKA robots have advanced mobile control systems that enable precise movements, optimizing performance, speed, and productivity.
- Programming Interface: KUKA robots provide an user-friendly interface during programming and operations, facilitating a wider range of tasks.
- Robot Controllers: The company sells both manual and autonomous robots that self-navigate, minimizing intervention.
Pricing varies based on a wide range of factors. Used robots are available on the KUKA Marketplace.
FANUC offers a range of industrial robotics products and services including computer numerical control (CNC) machining systems and factory automation solutions. It has more than 100 models of robots and cobots for manufacturing in a wide range of industries designed to be easy-to-operate and flexible, with payloads up to 5,000 pounds.
- Wide Range: Existing models make it easier for customers to find the right fit for their specific industrial application based on payload capacities, capabilities, and configurations.
- Customer Support: The company provides a wide range of support services for customers, including system installation, training, maintenance, and technical support.
- Robust And Durable: Known for robust construction and durability, FANUC robots are designed for demanding industrial environments.
FANUC does not provide pricing details. Contact sales for quotes. Customer reviews list prices in a range from $6,000 to $200,000.
Benefits Of Robotics
Robotic tools provide comprehensive support in a wide range of industrial applications.
- Enhanced Productivity: By automating routine tasks, robotic tools enable your company to devote more time to critical tasks.
- Consistent Performance: Once an automation framework is established, robotic tools operate consistently, minimizing human intervention and distraction.
- Improved Safety: Incorporating robotics provides safety measures, especially when dealing with heavy machinery. Human employees are vulnerable to potential harm from objects in the workplace, but robots can be repaired.
- Accelerated Efficiency: Robots achieve constant productivity, minimizing downtime.
How To Choose A Robotics Company
There are several criteria to weigh when looking to choose the right robotics provider.
Type of Robotics
Depending on the industry and the specific tasks the robot will undertake, it is important to explore various types of robots. Popular types include autonomous mobile robots (AMRs), automated guided vehicles (AGVs), articulated robots, humanoids, cobots, and hybrids. AGVs are beneficial for delivery and transportation services, while humanoids are well-suited for research.
Maintainability and Availability
Consider the reliability, repairability, and availability of robotics tools—factors like battery duration and part complexity can have an impact on efficiency. Providers should offer support for maintenance and repairs to help avoid downtime.
While it can be difficult to compare prices with robotics tools, establish a budget that incorporates the initial investment as well as upkeep, repair, and downtime costs. Narrow down providers by their ability to meet your robotic needs, and then work with their sales teams to receive an exact cost.
Bottom Line: Top Robotics Companies
The top robotic companies offer a wide range of features and advantages for businesses looking to automate processes. While these robots offer numerous benefits, there are also potential disadvantages to consider, such as initial investment costs, integration complications, and the need for coding professionals. However, with proper training, planning, and maintenance, these robots can revolutionize industry automation and drive your business toward increased productivity and competitiveness.