Marathon Technologies: If the process automation applications used by manufacturing companies experience downtime, that can lead to data loss or potentially catastrophic loss of monitoring capabilities. In the worst case scenario, entire production lines might need to be shut down. To avoid that possibility, businesses can take six steps:
- Reduce human error.
- Reduce server errors with quality hardware and component redundancy.
- Protect against storage errors with storage device redundancy and RAID.
- Use redundant network paths, switches and routers to protect against network failures.
- Replicate data to another site for protection from site failures.
- Use high availability software to automate protection of servers, storage and networks.