Admit it—all those meetings are mind-numbing. So other than slurping coffee by the gallon, what can you do to snap out of brain fog, sharpen your wits and have a little fun while you’re at it? Brainiac game apps ought to do it!
Here is a list of 25 intelligent game apps to get you started.
1. Plague. This plague spread simulator will scare you when you realize this is exactly how deadly infections spread around the world. Use your strategy skills–as the infection’s chief strategist–in the ultimate role reversal. Free.
2. Mind Games. This collection of games is based on cognitive psychology principles. Some are designed to enhance certain skills, such as math skills, while others generally flex your mind and/or improve your memory. Free.
3. Mahjong Solitaire. Test your observation and problem-solving skills with this famous Chinese tile game. There are over 150 boards all beautifully designed and mentally stimulating. The game has four levels from kiddie to hard. And they mean it when they say “hard.” Free.
4. True or False - Test Your Wits. Build your general knowledge builder and spin-proof your mind. Pick your topic and race the clock in deciding if the “facts” are true or not. Free.
5. What’s the Phrase?From the makers of Words with Friends and Scramble with Friends comes this new word game. Pit your speed in figuring out the phrase against that of your friends. There are lots of categories to choose from too. Free.
6. Can You Escape? The object of this game is to break out of each of the rooms using hidden objects revealed by solving puzzles. Can you do it? Free.
7. Flow Free. How good are your concentration and spatial reasoning? You’ll find out with this game. Connect matching colors to form pipes. Cover the board with pipes to solve the puzzle. But watch out! Pipes will break if they cross or overlap. Free.
8. 4 Pics 1 Song. Guess the title of the song from four picture clues. The more song puzzles you successfully complete the more coins you’ll earn. Coins are good for additional hints on harder puzzles later. Free.
9. Words with Friends. This “delightfully addictive” app is social gaming at its best. Similar to Scrabble, it requires you to make words from seven randomly chosen tiles, and you can chat with your friends in the game too. Free.
10. Bejeweled Blitz. This popular game by PopCap asks you to match three or more jewels in a row to eliminate them from the board. See how many points you can rack up in 60 seconds. Free.
11. Bubble Paradise. Use this bubble-shooter on the easy setting if you just want the satisfaction of blowing up things on your screen, or switch to harder levels if you want to test your puzzle solving skills against the clock. Free.
12. Tetris. A re-imagined oldie but goodie puzzle game that will keep you entertained–and challenged–for hours. Free.
13. 4 Pics 1 Word. Four pictures have something in common but what is it? Test your powers of deduction and your vocabulary too. Free.