Download the authoritative guide: Cloud Computing 2018: Using the Cloud to Transform Your Business
HP: This white paper begins with an overview of virtualization and its potential risks. It then offers information on how to leverage virtualization for QA purposes, including ten tips:
- "Automate as much as possible, because the value and pay off will be much more tangible and measurable."
- "Reach out and establish a relationship with the virtualization administrators."
- "Dont underestimate the additional costs of going virtual in testing."
- "Remember that modern applications are distributed and in the virtualized test environment, and that virtual networking is required."
- "When youre doing performance testing on a virtual system under test, you dont want any automated migration or background moving of the virtual resources."
- "If youre a QA manager or test team lead, enable your testers to learn more about different virtualization technologies and how they impact the AUT."
- "Create a comparison benchmark for test cycle times before you adopt virtualization."
- "When it comes to managing the virtual test lab, implement standard for the naming of VM resources, for base system VMs and AUT VMs."
- "While performance testing a single AUT VM, dont forget to create the anticipated resource utilization (noise) of any other VMs that would be competing for shared resources of the virtualization platform."
- "Virtualizing any of the dependencies behind/underneath the AUT (commonly referred to as stubbing) can also help leverage maximum efficiency from a virtualized testing environment."