Download the authoritative guide: Cloud Computing 2018: Using the Cloud to Transform Your Business
Cnet: In a recent filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Google explained its justification for the $12.4 billion price it paid for Motorola Mobility. The price broke down as follows:
- $5.5 billion for "patents and developed technology"
- $2.9 billion for Motorola's cash
- $730 million for customer relationships
- $670 million for other net assets
- $2.6 billion for goodwill, or value beyond the company's assets
The filing makes it clear that Google viewed Motorola's patents as the most valuable piece of the company.