Akamai: Every quarter, Akamai releases a report with statistics on Internet security, penetration, and connection speeds. Findings for Q4 2009 include the following:
- Russia and the United States are the top two sources for attack traffic, accounting for 25 percent of observed attacks.
- The number of unique IP addresses connecting to Akamai's servers was up 4.7 percent from the third quarter, and 16 percent from the previous year.
- New Jersey has the most IP addresses per capita of any U.S. state.
- South Korea has the fastest average connection speeds, while the U.S. ranks 22nd.
- The top three local areas with the fastest Internet connections are all U.S. college towns: Berkeley, CA; Chapel Hill, NC; and Stanford, CA.
- Delaware is the state with the fastest Internet connection speeds.