Spiceworks: Recently IT management software vendor Spiceworks conducted a survey of 1,250 IT professionals working for companies with less than 1,000 employees. Here's what they found:
- The average SMB IT budget climbed nine percent, with 43 percent of SMBs reporting budget increases.
- About half (47 percent) of 2010 IT budgets are allocated to new hardware purchases, 34 percent to new software, and 19 percent to IT services.
- 80 percent of SMBs plan new desktop, laptop and server purchases in the first half of 2010.
- 55 percent of SMBs plan software purchases in the first six months of 2010, particularly in virtualization, antivirus/anti-spam, backup and recovery, and Windows 7 upgrades.
- 41 percent of respondents are planning new or additional investments in virtualization solutions in the first six months of 2010.
- 25 percent of those surveyed plan to utilize cloud computing services over the next six months.
- 67 percent plan to keep their IT staff the same for the first half of the year, while 20 percent plan to add new full-time staff.