Anita Borg Institute: Why don't more women choose careers in IT? And why do those women who do work in IT find it difficult to advance?
In this report, the Anita Borg Institute identifies several cultural barriers that exist in many IT departments. They include:
- The existing technical culture is biased against those who dont code.
- The existing technical culture rewards Hero behavior and an in your face communication style.
- Risk-aversion is embedded in recruiting and advancement practices.
- The individual contributor track lacks a development culture.
- The existing reward structures built around the high-tech culture do not encourage rapid change around this issue.