Gartner: In the past year, business has started taking the social networking phenomenon seriously. Gartner makes five predictions about how social networking will transform business in the coming years:
- "By 2014, social networking services will replace e-mail as the primary vehicle for interpersonal communications for 20 percent of business users."
- "By 2012, over 50 percent of enterprises will use activity streams that include microblogging, but stand-alone enterprise microblogging will have less than 5 percent penetration."
- "Through 2012, over 70 percent of IT-dominated social media initiatives will fail."
- "Within five years, 70 percent of collaboration and communications applications designed on PCs will be modeled after user experience lessons from smartphone collaboration applications."
- "Through 2015, only 25 percent of enterprises will routinely utilize social network analysis to improve performance and productivity."