In other cases, some of the participants have chosen to sit in on staff meetings and serve on task forces. Klippel believes that all these efforts have enhanced the participants' views of how IT and the railroad work effectively together.
How to make formal mentoring work at your company
Match participants on the basis of skills and need. A personality fit isn't as important. For example, a mentor with proven communication and presentation skills is matched with a protégé interested in learning those skills. Whether their personalities are compatible isn't significant. Learning the new skill takes priority. Build in accountability and commitment--ensure that all participants understand their roles and responsibilities: Mentors-protégés need to regroup within two weeks of their initial meeting. A joint mentor/supervisor/protégé meeting is held within one month. An action plan is finalized the first month. Oral status/activity reports are given at follow-up meetings. Start with a pilot program and expand after you have been successful. Evaluate the program's impact to justify any company expenditures. One suggestion for a quick evaluation is to compile a protégé's accomplishments in a "yearbook" and share it with senior management and other appropriate parties.
CSX conducts extensive surveys of participants at the six-month mark, and again about six weeks after the one-year anniversary date. Klippel says these surveys "show that an overwhelming number of participants report that they have a better idea of the big picture of our company, understand more about other departments, found the program's networking valuable, and developed more of a career focus while in the program." He estimates that about 70% of the IT protégés are interested in learning the operational side of the business--how the company is structured and how the trains run. The remaining 30% want additional technical skills. A winning combination Marilynne Miles Gray of The Mentoring Institute, in Sydney, British Columbia, is the consultant working with CSX on its mentoring program. She believes that the guidelines developed by the company are one reason the program is successful. "The mentoring program has to be voluntary with stated expectations," says Gray. "You must have confidentiality between the mentor and the protege, a commitment, and the supervisor shouldn't be the mentor." For IT professionals, mentoring programs offer tremendous opportunities to learn skills not often associated with technical prowess. "Mentoring is an easier method of learning a company's unwritten rules, such as how people dress, how they talk to each other, and how they get things done," says Gray. "People skills are necessary today. The combination of people and technical skills is a winner." Dr. Linda Phillips-Jones, principal consultant of The Mentoring Group, in Grass Valley, Calif., believes IT mentoring benefits the mentor as much as the protégé. "Mentoring is a way for seasoned IT professionals to keep up with current trends and exchange information," she says. "Since mentoring shortens an individual's learning curve, management sees improved performance sooner." // Ann Howe is a freelance writer living in Amherst, N. H. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What style of mentoring program is right for you? Formal or informal--just what type of mentoring program works best for IT professionals? Opinions vary. Read more >